Passiflora
Welcome to the passiflora forum!

Please sign in to post and get access to all the features.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Passiflora
Welcome to the passiflora forum!

Please sign in to post and get access to all the features.
Passiflora
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Passiflora Liguraris Anyone

3 posters

Go down

Passiflora Liguraris Anyone Empty Passiflora Liguraris Anyone

Post by pepelepew40 Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:32 am

I have a Adult passiflora Edulius Fredericks, a Teen Passiflora Alata Ruby Gold and Many Passiflora Ligularis seedlings as well as Alata seedlings.
My Friend brought and gave me some seeds of the Liguaris from Peru.
Has anyone successfully grown this ? I have a lot of seeds i am unsure how old they are but they seem to have sprouted ok.
I am in Zone 9b Spring Valley CA.
Any Info or Tips are appreciated.

pepelepew40

Back to top Go down

Passiflora Liguraris Anyone Empty Re: Passiflora Liguraris Anyone

Post by Nick Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:39 am

I started a seed in the fall and it was 4 feet long in no time till i topped to a foot. im currently growing it in scrog tek methods to increase insane branching on this one. we will see, it works wonders on other plants. Very Happy I would suggest you bring them indoors during the winter as they are not to winter hardy depending on your location.
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by pepelepew40 Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:03 pm

Where are you at i am in Zone 9b Westcoast Southern California

pepelepew40

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:32 pm

I live on the east coast, outer banks nc. zone 8. It prefers slightly cooler temps as it is from higher altitudes, but kepting it in a shaded place that gets good morning sun should be fine to keep from melting it haha. It prefers wild temps that go to nether extreme. As for winter care, I would over winter it indoors in a large pot as I dont know how your winters get. One thing though is P. linguraris takes 3-4 years to start flowering for the most part. It need to be HUGE. Again, another reason for overwintering but some say worth it if you want the flowers. The fruit is very popular in cooler reigens including europe. I would not say as good as any edulis, but I would pick the liguraris flower over edulis. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by pepelepew40 Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:49 am

Thanks for the advice here the wheather seldom gets below 32 during winter nights.
I might keep indoors for first years or protected from frost.
I like edulius too.
I have not had ligularis since i was a little kid, i spent some of my childhood in Peru and is very popular there.
My Alata is about to flower i have never seen the alata flower alive only pictures it looks gorgeous i wonder if i'll get any fruit i've read that id needs crosspolinization, have you had any Alatas?

pepelepew40

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:35 am

I have p. alata still... or more so "did". My p. alata, like yours, Is the hybrid passiflora alata 'ruby glow' which recently I have read is referred to as p. phoenicia now. This means I do not truly own p. alata, or you, so I can not truly attest to owning one or ever seeing its flowers. Though they look very alike at first glance from what i can tell in pictures, if you knew what you were looking for and were to examin the two closely you would notice differences for sure. So to wrap it up if your p. alata is really p. alata ruby glow, consider it p. phoenicia ((passiflora alata var. phoenicia) A hybrid of alata. formaly alata ruby glow)). Probaly not the true plant you remember growing up with but pretty much the same. ether way both need cross pollination to create fruit. A real p.alata, p. quadrangularis, p. decainsneana are great for getting fruit on them. But p. caerulea, and a few others work as well. Like I have said I just read it wondering why the 'ruby red' was tagged to my p. alata 'ruby red'. If There is anyone else that reads this that could add any other info to that part that I might have wrong or not said please correct me as im always ready to learn new things as well. I hope at least the pollination answer helped. There are people that you are able to get pollen from that can get you fruit on your plants if you look around im sure. If this is the plants first time flowering it might also be to young to grow or hold many if any fruit.
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by tropique Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:12 pm

Good morning.

I live in Casablanca (Morocco).
Zone: 11
Annual temperature: 10 ° c 35 ° c ---------

P.ligularis:
- slow growth.
- don 't like too much watering.
- don 't like too much heat: maximum 30 ° C.
- does not like frost.

Passiflora Liguraris Anyone Ligula11
P.ligularis 18 months after planting.

P.alata:
  j have much fruit.
  Always - hand pollination.
  - cross-pollination: other alata quadrangularis ---- ---- ---- phenicia caerulea.
p.phoenicéa:
  - Proceed as P.alata.

Passiflora Liguraris Anyone Alata_10
alata

Passiflora Liguraris Anyone Alata_11
alata: immature fruit

Passiflora Liguraris Anyone Phoeni10
phonicea

Passiflora Liguraris Anyone Phoeni11
Phoenicea:large immature fruit.. (3 x alata)

Passiflora Liguraris Anyone Alata-11
Alata: harvest

Passiflora Liguraris Anyone Edulis11
Edulis flavicara and edulis purple.harvest.
cross-pollination.

I hope I have helped a little.

troique

tropique

Back to top Go down

Post by tropique Fri Sep 02, 2011 6:55 pm

J was going to forget. Very Happy

Edulis purple ( Frederick ??? ):
  - self-fertile.
  edulis - pollinates the other.
  was told that she Resita at - 3 ° c.