Passiflora
Welcome to the passiflora forum!

Please sign in to post and get access to all the features.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Passiflora
Welcome to the passiflora forum!

Please sign in to post and get access to all the features.
Passiflora
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

no flowers

3 posters

Go down

no flowers Empty no flowers

Post by eyecandy Sat Jan 01, 2011 6:58 pm

I bought a P. caerulea 3 yrs ago and it bloomed like mad the first year. Since then I've had nothing, although the plant grows fine. There should be adequate ferts, as it's growing in amongst the climbing roses, which bloom their heads off for 5 months every year. The bed is south facing, dug 90cm (3')deep and well drained. Thinking of getting rid of it. Any suggestions? I'm willing to give it one more year, as the flowers are so incredibly captivating.

eyecandy

Back to top Go down

no flowers Empty Re: no flowers

Post by georgios Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:15 pm

Hi eyecandy,

let me give you at first my best wishes for the new year santa

similar observations I have made with my Red Inca. The first year I was surprised from the mass of flowers and the second year nothing.

I transferred the plant into a bigger pot and changed a part of the earth. At the beginning of the spring I gave some fertilizer. During summer I used fertilizer especially for flowering (the fertilizer for flowering has a higher content of Potassium and Phosphorus but lower content on Nitrogen whereas "usual" fertilizer have nearly same content of all 3 minerals or more Nitrogen as potassium and phosphorus). In end of summer (Red Inca usually starts end of summer to flower) the flowers came back.

So donĀ“t eliminate the aspect of fertilizing. Maybe your caerulea compete with the roses when the plants are adjacent and the roses consumes most of the nutrients. The flowering is the sum of genetics and good conditions like for example sunlight, temperature and minerals. Of course you cannot transfer the plant into a bigger pot because your caerulea has the biggest pot Smile but check if the roses (or other plants near your caerulea) are possibly too close in the root area. Also you can use some additional fertilizer during summer.

Maybe have the others additional ideas what can be done ? I hope that my Red Inca will bloom this year like last summer. If not, the measures I have taken last year were random Smile

Bye

georgios

georgios

Back to top Go down

Post by EWortman Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:56 pm

Hello,

We have never fertilized our largest Passiflora caerulea, (with a trunk like a baseball bat, and a 30 foot expanse along a fence), which we have had for over 10 years. I am not opposed to fertilizer, but I don't think it is necessary for this plant. It stays outdoors all year long in full sun, which can be quite harsh where we live in California. It always blooms very heavily in Spring, usually as early as March and ending by June.

My suggestion would be to make sure it is getting enough sun. Are your roses blocking is some, creating shade? Any shade at all diminishes the blooming on our other P. caeruleas. One other suggestion which may help before you give up on it would be to cut it back very hard prior to or in conjunction with new growth starting.

Good luck! Let us know what happens.

Eric
EWortman
EWortman

http://www.bloomingpassion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down