Passiflora
Welcome to the passiflora forum!

Please sign in to post and get access to all the features.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Passiflora
Welcome to the passiflora forum!

Please sign in to post and get access to all the features.
Passiflora
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Passiflora caerulea species selection 'Blue Tip'

+3
Les King
Igor Lyannoy
ethan.nielsen
7 posters

Go down

Should I register it?

Passiflora caerulea species selection 'Blue Tip' Vote_l1088%Passiflora caerulea species selection 'Blue Tip' Vote_r10 88% 
[ 7 ]
Passiflora caerulea species selection 'Blue Tip' Vote_l1012%Passiflora caerulea species selection 'Blue Tip' Vote_r10 12% 
[ 1 ]

Total Votes : 8

Passiflora caerulea species selection 'Blue Tip' Empty Passiflora caerulea species selection 'Blue Tip'

Post by ethan.nielsen Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:09 pm

This is a P. caerulea I grew from seed, sorry for the lousy picture quality-I took it with my phone. (I have my plants in a campus greenhouse and when ever I go with my camera it either doesn't have a bloom or they aren't in a good state to be photographed.) It's a species selection of P. caerulea. Its corona isn't as long and it's colors are muted with light blue tips. I'm thinking of calling it 'Blue Tip', what do you think?
Passiflora caerulea species selection 'Blue Tip' Passif12
(Above, P. caerulea 'Blue Tip' by itself; Below, P. x Colvillii 'Big' on left and 'Blue Tip' on the right.)
Passiflora caerulea species selection 'Blue Tip' Passif13

I'll try and get a picture of it next to a regular P. caerulea.

~Ethan
ethan.nielsen
ethan.nielsen

http://www.ethannielsenarts.com

Back to top Go down

Passiflora caerulea species selection 'Blue Tip' Empty Re: Passiflora caerulea species selection 'Blue Tip'

Post by Igor Lyannoy Thu Sep 30, 2010 6:37 am

Dear Ethan,

I think this clone has a beautiful & delicate flower, but, IMHO, before registering I think you should also consider how profusely/precociously it blooms as compared to other known P.caerulea selections. If it compares well, then why not?

Igor Lyannoy
Ukraine

Igor Lyannoy

Back to top Go down

Passiflora caerulea species selection 'Blue Tip' Empty Blue Tip

Post by Les King Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:41 pm

Dear Ethan

Is this a sport from a 'normal' caerulea or has it grown from seed with all flowers on that plant looking like this? It is certainly unusual and if you can propagate it and it is stable then I think it should be registered. I mention stability because I have had experience of caerulea sports (they've always been pure white like 'Constance Eliott' ) reverting to type in the following year.

Best Regards

Les

Les King

Back to top Go down

Passiflora caerulea species selection 'Blue Tip' Empty Re: Passiflora caerulea species selection 'Blue Tip'

Post by Francisco Díez Thu Sep 30, 2010 10:07 pm

Dear Ethan,

I've seen caerulea flowers with similar features when plants are under the stress of pests and specially viruses. That doesn't mean this being your case. If your plant is healthy and the flowers seem to have stable characteristics as Les points then registration could be considered.

Francisco
Francisco Díez
Francisco Díez
Admin

https://passiflora.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by ethan.nielsen Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:05 am

This plant is from seed, all flowers are pretty much identical and come from a healthy plant. The seed was from a cross I made between two normal caeruleas in 2009, or possibly selfed but unlikely.
ethan.nielsen
ethan.nielsen

Back to top Go down

Passiflora caerulea species selection 'Blue Tip' Empty Blue Tip pics

Post by ethan.nielsen Thu Oct 07, 2010 6:55 am

I took some pictures and did some comparisons, enjoy!
Passiflora caerulea species selection 'Blue Tip' P-caer10
Passiflora caerulea species selection 'Blue Tip' Compar10
Passiflora caerulea species selection 'Blue Tip' Compar11
ethan.nielsen
ethan.nielsen

Back to top Go down

Post by 4znb3bigal Sat Dec 11, 2010 4:00 am

Razz I think I will find some Razz really nice . thanks for share it .
4znb3bigal
4znb3bigal

http://lindachzang.canadaboard.net/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Post by shawn.mattison Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:11 am

Hi Ethan,

Very attractive flower! Are you sure this is a cross between two P. caerulea species plants and not a cross between P. caerulea and P. caerulea 'Constance Eliott'? It looks like a couple of my crosses of those two.

It's generally very exciting the range of offspring that both P. caerulea and its white cousin can make. Congratulations on your unique plant!

Shawn

shawn.mattison

Back to top Go down

Post by tropique Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:16 pm

ethan.nielsen wrote:This is a P. caerulea I grew from seed, sorry for the lousy picture quality-I took it with my phone. (I have my plants in a campus greenhouse and when ever I go with my camera it either doesn't have a bloom or they aren't in a good state to be photographed.) It's a species selection of P. caerulea. Its corona isn't as long and it's colors are muted with light blue tips. I'm thinking of calling it 'Blue Tip', what do you think?
Passiflora caerulea species selection 'Blue Tip' Passif12
(Above, P. caerulea 'Blue Tip' by itself; Below, P. x Colvillii 'Big' on left and 'Blue Tip' on the right.)
Passiflora caerulea species selection 'Blue Tip' Passif13

I'll try and get a picture of it next to a regular P. caerulea.

~Ethan
Good morning
It esr nice the ' blue tip ', the name also
I n have never seen that her
Felicitations Ethan

tropique

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down