Passiflora
Welcome to the passiflora forum!

Please sign in to post and get access to all the features.

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Passiflora
Welcome to the passiflora forum!

Please sign in to post and get access to all the features.
Passiflora
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nearly no flowers for the last two years

3 posters

Go down

Nearly no flowers for the last two years Empty Nearly no flowers for the last two years

Post by Schuler Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:05 pm

Hey everybody

I tried to cross some passionflowers for the last three years but this and the last year, only Passiflora ´Byrons Beaty´set a few flowers Sad Passiflora tucumanensis (tetraploid) flowered last year for about one month, passiflora tucumanensis (diploid), Passiflora caerulea (own seedling) and Clear Sky never set any flowers Evil or Very Mad

They are growing on my balcony with full sun from around 12 to sunset, they get enough water and everything but they just won´t set flowers (and the groth isn´t the best as well).

I put a cutting of Clear Sky in my garden this spring but it grows just slowly.
I think I just plant my caerulea and both tucumanensis in the garden and protect them with mulch during the winter.
The climate here isn´t very cold in winter (usually a short time minimum of -8°C) so they should survive.
Passiflora ´Byrons Beaty´set 3 fruits from OP but without any fully developed seeds inside. So I think I´ll plant her into the garden next spring as well.

The plans I had were to cross the tetraploid Clear Sky, Byrons Beauty and tucumanensis with each other (haven´t seen these crosses yet what is very strange I think). But if they won´t set flowers and seeds next year I´m going to stopp to work with them because it´s just too frustrating Neutral

Has anyone a good hint to bring them in a more vigorous mode?

Kindly regards,

Philipp

Schuler

Back to top Go down

Nearly no flowers for the last two years Empty Re: Nearly no flowers for the last two years

Post by seb51 Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:26 pm

possible that the fertilizer does not suit them too much nitrogen, too little potassium !!!
seb51
seb51

Back to top Go down

Nearly no flowers for the last two years Empty Re: Nearly no flowers for the last two years

Post by Schuler Tue Oct 18, 2011 2:31 pm

Shouldn't they grow rapitly with to much nitrogen? I fertilized them this spring with an iron + potassium fertilizer but it did not help them yet Sad maybe they will do betther when they grow in the garden

Schuler

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:49 pm

I would think they would grow gladly in the ground you have but expext it to take a good month befor you see buds as they wil need to root out a bit in their new ground soil. and to the fertz I do mine every month in spring and fall and every two weeks in summer. This causes massive groth on even the smallest passi and is followed by mass amounts of blooms during that time. It is very important to check the ph in the soil weekly or biweekly to know best what to do. If your ph is low in your outdoor soil, add the required fertz to the soil befor planting to keep your plants happiest. It really sucks to hear your plants are not flowering. No one likes to hear that, expecialy after all the time spent caring for them. I wish you good luck with your blooms!
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Nick Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:50 pm

Add a few bananas or banana peels to your soil for the potassium, or just add them to your soil compost like i do. The plants seem to take It better then any store bought fertilizer containing high levels of potassium.
Nick
Nick

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down